What is Smell?
Smell is our olfactory sense; we can make judgments about our environments based on what we can smell, for example we can smell some leftover food to see if it has gone bad.
What does under-sensitivity look like?
- not noticing when you need to bathe or shower
- not noticing when food has gone bad
- liking very strong smelling things
- liking very strong foods, and not enjoying foods that don't have a strong taste
- avoiding places with very strong smells
- using unscented soaps and hygiene products
- eating foods that don't have strong smells
What does over-sensitivity look like?
- disliking strong smells
- finding smells offensive that other people barely notice
- not liking certain deodorants or body sprays
- feeling the need to shower often
- not being able to go into certain places as the smell is too overpowering
- having a regular personal hygiene schedule
- having foods with strong smells and tastes
- scented items to use to cover up bad smells